Ohishi Tokubetsu Reserve
Ohishi Distillery was founded in 1872, and is located in the Southwest of Japan in a beautifully mountainous and scenic countryside. Ohishi sits near the tiny village of Mizukami, and is the closest distillery to the source of the Kuma River, one of the fastest flowing rivers in all of Japan, renowned and prized for its superior water quality. Ohishi has been a family business for five generations, primarily known for its sake & shochu production. Ohishi Whisky is distilled entirely from rice and aged in either Brandy or Sherry Casks. In order to ensure the quality of the spirit, the Master Distiller utilizes 30% estate grown grain for distillation, with the remaining 70% of rice (Mochi) coming from the surrounding Kumamoto prefecture. Weeds in the estate rice paddies are controlled by koi fish that swim about the grass and nibble the invasive plants. Varieties of estate-grown rice include Hino hikari, Mori no kuma-san, Yamada Nishiki, Gohyakumanishi (5 million stones) and Gin no Sato. Because of the rice’s efficient and subsequently clean fermentation, Ohishi uses a pot still made from stainless steel, as opposed to copper.
This whisky is a very special release of almost equal parts 27-year old (29%), 10-year-old (35%), and 7-year-old (36%) Ohishi Whisky Sherry Casks. While the older whisky provides depth and structure, the 7 and 10-year-old whiskies give zest and complexity to the final product. 40.5% ABV.